Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thank you, John Madden

Today is Sunday and in America, Sunday means football – 
American football.
I just want to send out a great big thank you to John Madden.  John Madden was a football player, a coach of the Oakland Raiders and then went onto to become a commentator for several networks. 

Most importantly, John Madden was my teacher.  I’m sure he doesn’t put that little piece of trivia on his resume, but he could.  I attribute most of my knowledge of football to John Madden.  He was the patient teacher who would explain the crazy plays and the even crazier calls by the officials.  He was the patient man in the midst of many who I watched football with over the years.  He was willing to answer my dumb questions, like, “What does 10 yards have to do with anything?” 

I love watching football – I like to see the quarterback figure out what to do next.  I love the long throws and the incredible catches.  I love the long runs and the last minute wins.  Best of all, I pretty much understand what is going on in the game, all of this, and I have John Madden to thank!

John Madden is retired now from his commentator job.  He has video games and restaurants and he and his wife do a lot for the community.  I miss John Madden on Sunday Night Football.  Whenever I watch a football game, though, I always think of him and smile!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment