Friday, December 31, 2010

Pecan Twist

One of my favorite things is a good pecan twist – my favorite are at Panera Bread.  They are tasty and just the right texture – yummy!

One thing that really makes me smile is to find a recipe that comes close to something I usually have to buy – I like to make things myself, that way I know what all the ingredients are and I can tweak things a bit here and there.

I was able to find a recipe for a quick pecan twist, it doesn't have yeast - just baking soda.

The ones I made came out beautifully - I hope you’ll give them a try and I hope they make you smile!

J

Land-O-Lakes Maple Pecan Twists
These quick bread twists are filled with a sweet nut mixture and have a maple-flavored glaze.
Filling
1 1/3 cups finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar

Dough
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup  sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
3 to 4 teaspoons milk
Heat oven to 450°F. Combine all filling ingredients in small bowl; set aside.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 

Combine sour cream, 1/4 cup milk and egg in medium bowl; beat with wire whisk until smooth. Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture just until dough forms. 

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 12 to 15 times. Roll out dough, on parchment-lined (16x14-inch) baking sheet without sides, into 15x12-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle filling over half the length of the dough to within 1 inch of edges. Fold dough over filling; cut dough into 15 (1-inch) strips. Twist strips about three times; press ends onto sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet; remove to wire rack. 

Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Drizzle over twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment