Friday, December 24, 2010

Don’t Buy Me a Kindle

I like books, they make me smile.  I’m not so sure about the very popular electronic readers – IPAD, Kindle, Nook, etc.  It seems like a great idea, you don’t have to carry around a bunch of books.  When you go on vacation, you can actually take a bunch of books with you and not have to pay the extra baggage fees.  If you are a student, you don’t have to lug around all those text books.  The advantages, I suppose, are great.

What I don’t like about them is the potential for books becoming obsolete.  I like the feel of a book in my hand.  I like to turn the pages.  I like the ability to go to the back or up to the front and hold my place where I am. 

The other thing I like is a bookshelf full of books.  If I had a big enough house, I would have an entire room dedicated to books.  A library, if you will, with those rolling ladders and comfy chairs and blankets.  There’s something quite comforting about a full bookshelf, it’s one of those old-fashioned fixtures that make everything seem right with the world.


I will smile when I see one of those electronic readers at the beach or on an airplane, but I will continue reading books the old-fashioned way….paper page by paper page.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment