Monday, November 1, 2010

I'm Not A Cyclist

My husband is a cyclist, he rides bicycles and he’s very good at it, he also has the scars to prove that he’s put in his time to become good at it.  When compared to him, I am not a cyclist; however, I love to ride bikes! 

Yesterday we took the bikes out to a well-known trail.  It’s pretty flat and wide and you don’t have to worry about cars, etc.  We planned to start down that trail when we noticed a sign near where we parked.  “Alamo Creek Bike Trail” – that sounded wonderful, but I had a little fear creep in, not knowing what the trail would hold.  If it’s all uphill, ugh…would I be able to make it?

We took the Alamo Creek Trail – I’m a sucker for seeing new things!  It was very nice, winding and picturesque.  It took us along the Alamo Creek and into Alamo Creek Park which was beautiful and green.  As we wound around the park, we came to a gate which is locked up when the park is closed.  Looking up from the gate we could see a hill, a slight hill, a hill with marked speed bumps.  We couldn’t see what was on the other side, and that makes for some interesting thoughts when your legs are burning already and you have to decide which way to go.

Up we went, I kept thinking about how those speed bumps were taunting me, I mean, why would you need speed bumps going up hill?  Then I began to look at them as a bit of challenge/reward bump.  I challenged myself to get to the top of each one, and then basked in the reward of coming off of the other side with a bit of speed. 

I made it up that hill, in pretty good time too!  I’m still smiling because I made it, but more importantly, I’m smiling because when my husband looked back, he didn’t see me off my bike, walking up that hill, he saw me right behind him!  His smile made me smile!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment