Friday, November 5, 2010

Baking Smiles

Baking, as some of you may know, makes me smile.  It’s part of who I am.  It’s a wonderful feeling to pop something into the oven and smell the glorious aroma that takes over the house.  My home often smells like a bakery – which also makes me smile and hopefully, my family and neighbors too!

Today, I’m going to share one of my “go-to” recipes.  This recipe is very versatile and easy and the finished product is perfect every time.

I do a lot of my baking on Friday – to me it’s one of the markers of the beginning of the weekend, it says….slow down, enjoy, rest.  So have a wonderful weekend and try this recipe – it’s sure to make you smile!


J

SOUR CREAM COFFEECAKE

1 c. butter – room temperature
1 ¼ c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add beaten eggs and blend well.  Add sour cream and vanilla.

2 c. flour (I use whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda

Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture.  Pour half of the batter into prepared (greased) 10-cup bundt or tube pan.  Sprinkle half of topping evenly over batter.  Add remaining batter and top with remaining topping.  Bake for 1 hour at 350°.

Topping
¾ c. chopped nuts
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Variations
Most of the time I make this recipe into muffins.  I just use pan spray or muffin cups and scoop the batter into the cups.  Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the topping mixture and bake for about 18-20 minutes.

You can add blueberries, or other fruit to this recipe and it will be delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Naturally, it didn't take long for Ruth and I to gravitate to the pastry section of the blog. What a wonderful recipe! I just took the muffins out of the oven and sat down with a cuppa to perk me up enough to finish up the day's work. They are absolutely delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete