Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fear vs. Appreciation

Fear vs. Appreciation

Fear is a natural part of being human.  We all fear, sometimes it comes in disguises such as anxiety or  insecurity.  It would be great to have something to counter that fear – in whatever form it plagues us. 

Dan Baker, Ph.D., author of What Happy People Know, states, “It is a fact of neurology that the brain cannot be in a state of appreciation and a state of fear at the same time…..Thus, appreciation is the antidote to fear.”

Something that I try to do when I’m feeling fearful or anxious is to consider at least five things I’m thankful for.  I write them down or say them out loud or just mull them over in my mind. 

Feeling appreciative can banish fear of all kinds and it’s bound to make you smile too!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment