Monday, January 10, 2011

A Young Friend

Today I have been smiling because of a young friend.  This friend really has some insight.  Insight is so refreshing – especially when you don’t see it coming.

I recently found a journal I wrote when I was in my 20-somethings.  It was an eye-opener.  I’ve heard it before, “What would you tell your younger self?”  It’s a great question for talk show hosts and the answers prove to be very interesting.

I had filled that journal with the things that were going on in my life at the time – the good, the bad, and the ugly.  There were also some scriptures, comforting and encouraging me to continue onward.  There were some questions too – questions that didn’t have answers at the time.

Twenty years can do a lot for your outlook.  I found myself smiling because I’ve grown up a lot.  I also found that some of the things that were bothering me then, are things that still bother me now.  That made me smile too because at least now I can see them as things to change.  The things that I struggle with are things – they aren’t me – and I have the ability to change the way I think about them.

I’m glad I found that journal.  I’m glad I have the older, wiser eyes to read it.  I’m excited about the next twenty years and all that they will bring.

What would I tell my younger self? 

1)  Don’t sweat the small stuff.
2)  It is all small stuff – except for the lessons learned.
3)  Keep smiling.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment