Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Apple Butter & Homemade Bread

Not long ago, my daughter visited my dad in Oregon and then came to visit us.  She brought me a jar of his homemade apple butter.  There is so much to say about good apple butter….but I digress.

When I was a kid, we lived in a housing development that had a swimming pool.  My younger brother and I would go every day.  Our mom would go too, she would read her book and watch us swim and play, those are some pretty sweet memories.

I have been baking homemade bread recently.  It tastes so good and it’s so much less expensive than buying it.  It’s my mom’s recipe.  She would bake it at least once a week when I was growing up – probably more often than I remember.

Now to tie up all those pieces into my memory and smile for today:  When we got back from the pool on those hot, summer afternoons, our snack – because we were really hungry – was a slice of Mom’s homemade bread with butter and apple butter on it.

So, because my dad sent that jar of apple butter and since I have homemade bread in the house – I can eat a memory!  It takes me right back to when I got home from the pool as a kid, and it makes me smile!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment