Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Memory

A few years ago we went to my sister-in-law’s home for Thanksgiving.  It was a lot of fun being with family and spending time together.

They have a tradition in their neighborhood of a family football game on Thanksgiving morning.  It was cold, but we all bundled up and went out to the field.

There were several families gathering in the field.  Teams were formed and the fun began.  We had several young guys on our team who were playing the quarterback position, but they didn’t know any of us visitors, so every play seemed to flop.

Towards the end of the game, I said, “Hey, why don’t I throw the ball and you guys can catch it and run in for a touch down?”  They looked at me like I was crazy!  But they shrugged and tossed the ball to me.

The memory is still very rich in my mind and I smile every time I think of it.  We got set and they hiked the ball to me and I threw it right to one of the young guys and he ran in for a touch down.  The ball spiraled perfectly!  It was like a dream!

The next play we tried to throw it again, but our opponents knew what we had, so we had to run with it.  I think they called it a tie, which was fine with me.  I think all family games like that should end in a tie.

There was something special about being out there with all those kids and adults playing and having a good time together – it’s a very happy memory!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment