Sunday, April 10, 2011

Potato Salad

I was asked to bring a potato salad.  Well, I don’t really do potato salad….well.  My mother’s potato salad spoiled me.  My mothers-in-law’s potato salad spoiled me.  So I have tried a few different recipes.  One had red potatoes and vinegar. Although my guests and family members “ate it up,” I really didn’t care for it much. 

Then I tried a new recipe on my family.  It had red potatoes and Miracle Whip and sour cream and fresh onions and garlic.  Initially, it tasted pretty good, but the after taste was a little strong from that fresh onion and garlic. 

I had to take a potato salad to a dinner and I had to get it done, so I went with the traditional russet potato and hard-boiled eggs, pickle relish, mustard, onion powder, salt, pepper, and Miracle Whip.  I mixed it carefully and put in the serving dish and then I took a taste of it before I wrapped it up. 

To my surprise, it tasted like it was supposed to – kinda like my Mom’s.  It was a great hit – the other guests liked it and what I brought home has been a big hit with my guys. 

I can make potato salad.  It’s taken me over four decades to be able to say that.  I can make potato salad….I have arrived.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment