Monday, March 14, 2011

Lost & Found

A few years back, after my mom died, my dad gave me a necklace he had bought for her.  I loved that necklace.  It had a silver chain and an etched glass stone.  I wore it often, I took it with me when I traveled and enjoyed it so much.

Then I lost it.  I couldn’t find it anywhere.  I searched every back pack, every purse, every suitcase, and every garment bag…everywhere.  That was over a year ago. 

This morning, I was meditating about that necklace.  I thought about the parable of the pearl of great price.  I thought about searching for it again, but I concluded I would not find it.  I decided to let it go, it was just a necklace, I had enjoyed it, and I would never forget it.  I even considered who was wearing it now and that thought made me smile, because if I enjoyed wearing it so much, surely whoever was wearing it now would be happy with it too.

I was upgrading our preparedness supplies today.  Big earthquakes do that for me.  Big earthquakes also help me put things into perspective.  So, while searching in a drawer for some tiny little ziplock bags, I found one with a necklace in it…..yes, it was that necklace. 

It is still just a necklace and I was really okay with letting it go, when out of the blue, it was found, and I am still smiling.

J

1 comment: