Friday, July 8, 2011

Bittersweet Smile

This morning I put my youngest son on the plane, bound for leadership camp in Washington.  It was a pretty easy morning, the lines weren’t too long and we didn’t have to go through the body scanner or get patted down.  That made me smile!

My son is 16 and has really grown up this year.  He’s taller than I am and has really matured a lot since last camp.  Along with him went two grandsons, one 17 and the other only 13.  This is his first time at camp and first time away from home (for more than one night). 

His mom was a bit choked up – I could totally relate.  It does get easier to put your children on a plane to faraway places, but that first time is a bit of a tear-jerker. 

When your child is born, it seems they will grow and stay so close to you, but they grow up and grow independent.  Which is a good thing – it’s just hard when that process begins.  

The guys will have a great time – that is a fact!  We will miss them and be so happy to have them back home again.  It’s a learning/growing experience (for all of us)– sometimes bittersweet, but one I wouldn’t miss for the world!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment