Monday, January 9, 2012

Bridges


I’ve been thinking about some of my favorite things lately. 

One of my favorite things is bridges– the kind that let you go to new places.

We have quite a few bridges in the Bay Area – some of them are very well known and have their own songs.  I love traveling over a bridge.  First of all, they are a marvel to me of engineering – they still amaze me.  Second, they let you, usually, go a bit above it all and see things with a new perspective.

The Richmond/San Rafael Bridge is a high one – there’s a pretty great view from up there.  I have a friend who really doesn’t like the height of that bridge.  This bridge has over 11 million travelers a year. The San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge is the workhorse, taking over 38 million vehicles back and forth across the Bay in a given year.

The San Mateo is a pretty cool bridge because it hovers just over the water, with really spectacular views of the Bay on each side.  Fourteen million travelers head east or west on this bridge.  The Dumbarton Bridge is south of us and carries only 8 million vehicles in a year. 

The most famous one though is the Golden Gate – a really great looking bridge.  I would rather walk out onto this one – you can see so much more if you are on foot.  It’s a treat to see this bridge in clear weather or foggy – it’s red color lighting up the horizon. 

Just some of the bridges that make me smile…

J

No comments:

Post a Comment